Kerala Recipe : Kayappola
Whenever your friend or relatives surprise you with a visit, what is the first thing you look for in the kitchen? Well… most of the keralites look for Plantains (Ethapazham).
There are no limit to the delectable dishes you can make with those. Deep fry, shallow fry in ghee, Fry with coconut.. The list goes on…
Being from Ernakulam, I had no idea about the delicious dishes from Malabar. If not for nothing else, I will always be thankful to my Malabari friends from college for introducing me to the amazing flavorful dishes.
Kayappola was one of my favorite snacks during my college days. I had the first bite of it from my roomie who was originally from Tellicherry. So for me, it is a tellicherry specialty. I love this snack for 2 reasons.
- The simplicity of it’s ingredients yet the richness.
- The simplicity of cooking it yet the amazing taste.
Here it goes…
- Egg – 8
- Plantains – 2
- Sugar – 1.5 cups
The ratio of plantain to egg is always 1:4. And the amount of sugar depends on how sweet you want it to be.
- Beat all the eggs in a bowl.
- Cut the plantain into circular pieces.
- Shallow fry it in ghee.
- Mash them and put them in the beaten eggs.
- Now is the best part. There are 2 ways in which Kayappola can be made:
- The original and the way I prefer is to cook stovetop. Stovetop : Heat a tawa with depth and add ghee into it. Pour the batter into the tawa and cook covered in low-medium flame. Patience will be rewarded with a juicy Kayappola.
- You can bake it as well which is the modern and healthier option. Oven : Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175 C . Pour the batter into a baking tray and bake till it is evenly cooked.
Voila…. Kerala Recipe Kayappola is all ready to eat.
- Cook in low flame so that it is properly cooked without burning it.
- Make sure it is not overcooked in order not to miss the ‘juicy’ part.
- You want something crunchy, feel free to throw in some cashews, raisins.
- In case you run out of plantains, use carrot instead and make Carrotpola. It taste as good as Kayappola. Make sure you grate the carrot nicely.
Go ahead and have fun cooking this Kerala Recipe !!!
Image Courtesy :experimentwithtaste.blogspot.com